Monday, December 18, 2006

Were you looking for something?

Did you come here looking for something?

A post, maybe?

I gotcher post right HERE. Seriously. I do.

Someplace.

Ah yes, here it is:

===================

What I did over the weekend, by Tiff

3 haircuts completed (I'm the family barber)
4 meals cooked
80 Christmas cards made and addressed
1 dining room cleared out
1 dining table put together, placed, and decorated
1 Christmas tree erected and lighted in the cleaned-out dining room
1 front porch festooned with 1000 lights (no lie, 1000)
2 wreaths put up
1 birthday party attended
2 basson reeds purchased
2 bathrooms scrubbed
3 lectures given to Things 1 and 2
33 Christmas cards hung
"some" bourbon quaffed (I lose count after a while)


And yet - no laundry done, no groceries procured, the floors are a dog-hairy mess, I have no idea what's for dinner, and I still haven't recorded my holiday song for Neil.

Sigh.

===================

In perhaps more interesting news - I checked out a book from the library a couple of weeks ago that I really want to read (must.find.time). It's called "The Discoveries" (by Alan Lightman) and contains the original publications of some of the most ground-breaking scientific work of the 20th century.

Little things, like:

Max Planck's paper "On the theory of the energy distribution law of the normal spectrum."

Einstein's "On the electrodynamics of moving bodies."

Bohr's work "On the constitution of atoms and molecues."

A little something from Messrs Watson and Crick called "Molecular structure of nucleic acids," accompanied (thank goodness) by Franklin and Gosling's "Molecular configuration of sodium thymonucleate."

And on and on and on. Twenty-two chapters of seminal scientific works in their original form, accompanied by commentary regarding the times in which these discoveries were made and their impact on the body of knowledge to date and beyond.

I expect that I won't understand a good deal of what's in the book, particularly where the original papers are concerned (most especially anything having to do with the equations of physics), but I'm hopeful that I'll learn something new with each chapter.

What do I expect to get from all this? Let us just say that I am on a quest to become the MOST BORING COCKTAIL PARTY GUEST EVER!!!!

I'll let you know if I'm successful.

No comments: