Wednesday, November 22, 2006

This is my life

Well, my morning giggle has been replaced. I am sad.

There used to be a sign on a local church marquee (for I can think of no other way to describe the signage out from of most of the churches down there that are used as platitudinal billboards) that read:

"JOY COMES IN THE MORNING"

To which I would (usually) think "and Mary comes at night!"

Heeee! Good for a giggle every.daggone.time.

Well, that's gone now, and I'm left with some stupid thing about your attitude should be one of gratitude or somesuch preachy nonsense.

I say "BOOOOOO" to this change of events. Bring back the giggles, Leesville Road Baptist Church! Bring it back NOW!

==========================

It is possible, when you live in the South, to have a quick bill-paying session at the electric co-op turn into a 15-minute conversation with the counter lady during which you find out that her husband (her second husband, because the first died at age 49 of cancer, don't you know), just had a heart attack, but it was mild, and had cardiac catheterization but didn't really bounce back because a bad urinary catheterization caused him to have a bladder infection for which he had to take 10 days of antibiotics but isn't it geat that there was no damage to his heart and the stents are working fine and oh yes, there's a granddaughter with a persistent bladder infection who may have three kidneys and also one of the lady's daughters had three kidneys so it's entirely likely the granddaughter has one as well, and gosh shouldn't we all be thankful for what we have even on a rainy day like this one.

I know this, because it happened to me.

===========================

It's raining chupacabras and chthulus here today. Has been since last night, when I thought the roof was going to blow off and we'd all be standing in our bedrooms, soaked to the skin, wind whipping though our hair, wondering what brand of nightmare this was.

There are frogs doing the backstroke in midair.

There are treeses up to their kneeses in water where water oughtn't to be.

There is a backorder for arks.

And yet, I have no right to complain, because I understand the Northeast is getting in SNOW what we're getting in rain, and with snow packing 8 inches of equivalent for every inch of rain (more or less), there a possibility that the folks up there will be up to their eyeballs in fluffy white goodness by nightfall.

So, I'll shut up about that rain now.

=======================

UPDATE: I would like to take this opportunity to thank Erica, of amopeysouthernchick, for being the first ever (EVER!) commenter on my blog. All this thanking was Neil's idea, and I forgot to put this in the post this morning, so I sure hope it's not too late to be grateful.

It's NEVER too late to be grateful, is it?

=======================

Anyhow, there's a good chance that I'm not going to update for the remainder of the week (just like the rest of the blogosphere but for those hardy souls that are still doing NaBloPoMo), so I'll take this opportunity to wish you and yours the most satisfying of Thanksgivings. Spend a few moments really basking in what you have, and then go donate some money or time to a charity.

And have some turkey for me!

No comments: