Monday, December 12, 2005

Eensy bit concerned

Well.

It's happened.

I think.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051212/ap_on_sc/mice_human_brains

I'm stunned at the possibilities. The mind boggles. To wit -


- "Pinky and the Brain" in 3D!

- Jerry actually being able to USE his hands to heave a shovel at Tom!

- Legions of lower-level rodentia rising up against the overlords of mammalia by using logic and intellect (or maybe just a keen sense of fashion and an enormous entrant into the WWF follies. Or NASCAR.. In any case, we humans will succumb to their brash gall).

Be afraid.

===========================

Oh, but wait....all that stuff I just wrote?

It'll never happen.

In this lifetime.

But one day, Lovecraftian devotees everywhere, it might. And then, on that dread night, parents will have to tuck their enormous-eared, slightly fuzzy, preternaturally intelligent, sharp-visioned children into bed and tell them the truth.

"You were born a human. I'm so sorry. I did the best I could. The plastic surgery can take you no further. You're a gamma."

===============================

Thank God for soma.


And rain.




(Gosh - I sound like a luddite! I'm not. But I can see the day in the no-too-distant future in which any scientific advance, no matter how well-trenched in reason and aim, will be archly evaluated by politicoes and their cronies, possibly jeopardizing the forward progress of knowledge through knee-jerk evangelistic overreaction and withdrawal of gubbamint funding for fear of retaliation from a cadre of scary people who wield a big book and sound off from the pulpits of impossibly enormous religious organizations, like roach royalty riding the back of their minions.

It could happen.)

3 comments:

tiff said...

My worst fear. And dag - I just posted this! Quick response time! :>

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Honey, just feel his noodly appendage. Remember, Religion is the root of all evil. Spread the word - Think don't believe. Teach your children to forgive, yet pity those children being raised to squash their natural curiosity behind words written by ignorant old men with an agenda -

Anonymous said...

"think, don't believe."

My new mantra.