Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Mentos and Sweet Tarts

This is what boys do when they're on summer vacation and are not allowed to use electronics:

They take a can of diet soda, their old Hallowe'en candy, and go out on the front porch to see if the whole Mentos Volcano thing actually works. Then they try it with Sweet Tarts, and discover that they work as well as the Mentos.

Then? They DRINK the soda.

Boys are weird.

======================

I'm thinking of giving them a couple of hammers, a bag of nails, and some waste wood, sending them out back, and TELLING them to build a fort.

I can hear the screams now.

======================

So, I get this magazine that I don't really want. I've tried several times to cancel this magazine, to no avail. I've gone to the website, I've written e-mails, and if there was a number to call I'd call it, because I don't really READ the daggone thing, I don't use the advice or recipes, and don't particularly care for the 'super-wholesome Stepford Mom' vibe the magazine gives off.

I ordered it YEARS ago as a nice thing to do for a friend whose daughter was selling subscriptions for a school fundraiser (and when I had some small notion of trying to be a super-wholesome Stepford Mom myself, it must be said), and now I can't get RID of the damned thing. Ridiculous. I've had 6+ years of this mag following me around, and I can't shake it.

I'd like to trade it in for a mag that I'd actually READ, but I'm kind of at a loss there too. No Reader's Digest, thanks; I've seen enough 'humor in uniform' to last a lifetime. I don't have any real hobbies, so wouldn't subscribe to any special interest mags. I do like The Family Handyman magazine, but that's more for reference than reading. Utne Reader might be good, but then I'd get the guilts of not being a better steward of the earth or more proactive politically or more involved environmentally, and by God if it's one thing I don't need it's more guilt.

Plus which, magazines = clutter. I have a hard time throwing them out, much like I have a hard time getting rid of books. The magazines sit in piles, gathering dust kitties, until such time as I can't stand it anymore and chuck the lot of them, recipes, helpful hints, fashion tips, and all.

Unless, of course, you want them. The dust kitties come at no charge.

===================

Sometime recently the ol' hit counter went over 50K. I never thought I'd see the day. I recall being excited about 1000, then 10,000, but 50,000?

It'd probably be closer to 100K if I counted the visits I personally make to NAY, but that would be padding the count and so I don't. I'm all about the appearance of honesty and forthrightness.

A'ite - it's back to work with me. Y'all have a splendid Tuesday-do it for the dust kittehs!

No comments: