Thursday, March 06, 2008

Things that amaze me (plus update)

Identical triplets. What are the chances, I ask? Well, a little research indicates that the odds are somewhere between 1 in 60,000 and 1 in 200 MILLION, which is a highly unsatisfyingly large range of odds, if you ask me... Oh and even though the babies are in vitro kids, they came from one embryo. Astounding, don't you think?


An actual wanted poster from Singapore. Note the website address at the top, which, because I'm apparently 12 years old toaday, made me giggle. Also? The blonde disguise kinda rocks. Remeber kids, don kay kiang cho hero, okay?



A 101-year-old man who runs marathons. He's a HUNDRED AND ONE, people! I've seen 50-year-olds who don't look that good. He's planning to run the London marathon and to celebrate the finish with a beer and a cigarette. Go Buster go!


Antelope Canyon. Wow. The things Mother Nature can do with a little wind and about 10,000 years. Seriously. It would take me hours to look at just this ONE place. Of course, I'm the one who reads every single placard in an art museum, which explains a lot about me, I'm sure.


A 6-legged octopus. YOU HEARD ME, a 6-legged octopus. Word has it he drives a Porsche.


===============================
Now, please be aware that this is just the list of things I choose to allow to amaze me TODAY. I could have also mentioned that I'm amazed by the following:
  • The complexity of biology
  • The nature of physics
  • The thought that people eat grubs and LIKE IT
  • The power of water
  • The idea that someone, at some time, thought it would be a good idea to paint on black velvet or eat an oyster or invent the wheel
  • That nobody really knows for sure if the Universe is alone in the Universe
And that list would only be partial. The world, and everything above and below it, is an astounding place to be, don't you think?
What amazes YOU?
===============================
UPDATE!!!!!
Oh.My.GOD.
Check out the search string that led someone here. I'm so proud to be in the top ten of those results. So very very proud.

No comments: