Tuesday, September 22, 2020

4 p.m. and it's meetin' time.

Always with the yelling, I tell ya.

One of the things that happen after you, as a proud pharmaceutical company employee, have worked with a global team to submit a new drug application, is that you breathe deeply for 20 seconds.

That's it, that's all you get.

Then the 'new project' train starts rolling and you'd best be on it or you're going to get so FAR BEHIND that catching up will quickly become nearly impossible.

Which is why, for the past couple of weeks, it's been awfully, terribly quiet around my desk, with an emphasis on terrible.  After the rush and bubble of the past 18+ months, it's weird to not be chained to my computer working toward the goal line or some OTHER measure of success with some new project.

In other words, I've been breathing easy lately.  It's kind of nice, if a touch boring.

I'm all caught up on training.  I've organized email and deleted THOUSANDS of now-useless messages.  I've moved necessary files into document management systems.  I've jettisoned drafts and saved items that no longer are considered an official copy of anything.  I've even asked coworkers if they need help with anything, such is my desperation.

But not for much longer.

The 'new thing' train is all fueled up, the boilers are about to the right temperature, and the conductor is walking down the platform calling 'all aboard that's coming aboard!' in preparation for the next big journey.

I'm ready.

---

Too much or just enough for that next videoconference?

So yep, that's what the title of this entry is about.  4 p.m. meetings.  And 8 a.m. meetings.  And pop-up meetings.  We can't do 'walking meetings' right now, obviously, unless it's the kind where a person just stalks around their house on a mobile or wireless headset while in attendance.

Audio, sure, but never EVER with the video on.  Not for me.  No thanks.

I am one of those people that fidgets, BADLY, in most meetings.  I tic, and scratch, and get distracted, and pick my nose, and rub my eyes and am a general visual mess when I'm supposed to be well-poised and paying attention.

No.  None of that.

Plus which, I haven't yet figured out a good 'lewk' for video calls for me.  I'm sure it would involve wearing actual clothing and maybe makeup to put a little life into my sallow mug.  That's just too tall a bridge to cross!  At least I still don't have to comb my hair or worry about a style right now, so that's good, but the rest of it is just too much.  Nobody needs to see me that bad.

And yet, there are people who ALWAYS have their video on.  ALL WAYS.  I do not understand them.  I hope that you, dear reader, are not one of them.  If you are, please tell me why so I can learn from your mysterious ways.

Tiff out.

6 comments:

kenju said...

Not only is mine not on - I bought a special "flap" to keep the camera covered unless I want it on. Best thing ever!

JL Craver said...

Hard No to the video. Today's person video was holding her coffee cup while talking - a coffee cup of a naked pregnant lady just boobs to belly. I have no objections to boobs, bellies, or pregnant people, but I'm confident I wouldn't hold that in my right hand during a video call.

Also, I'm in the two weeks away stage of a submission CSR and already exhausted.

tiff said...

Judy - mine's got a business card folded over it!

JC - OMGosh! That's crazy. Good luck with the CSR - things can get wild in the end game.

Renn said...

I am the only one in my department that reports to the office. I don't have a laptop, and my camera is removable [ot plugs into the tower]. I have ONE mandatory 30 minute video [Teams Meering] each week, and it KILLS MY SOUL. I have tried to get away with freezing the video or turning off the audio. They catch me EVERY TIME.

Kingfisher said...

Hi, Tiff. It's Kingfisher. Glad to see you. I hope you and the family doing well. I can be reached at lightning.rbolt@gmail.com

Kingfisher said...

And Renn. Good to see you too!