Monday, July 06, 2020

Scanning the horizon.


Me and my doc today.  We also did a little photoshoot as a side hustle.  I had to hold onto my wig.

Way back at the beginning of this whole cancer thing, many scans were done of my personal person.

Mammogram, another mammogram, MRI, CT scan, blah blah blah. 

It's been a minute since I had anything scanned, unless the multiple x-rays of the chestal region during radiation count (OK, they do), so just for fun, and because my doc wanted me to, I went today to get a follow-up CT scan just to be sure we have run Elvis well and truly out of the building.

Last time we did a CT with contrast I thought I was going to die.  Seriously.  For a minute I thought I was clocking out - the contrast solution they administered made my heart beat so furiously I didn't think it could take the strain.  Fortunately it didn't last long, but death doesn't take long to work sometimes.

Needless to say, I was a bit nervy this morning before the procedure.

No need.

Other than the fact that they didn't use my port to administer the contrast (which is why I've kept that sucker in for an extra 3 months!  GAH1) the procedure went very well once they decided to SLOWLY give me the juice.  No problemo, and out of there in literal minutes.

HOWEVER - and I don't know why this needs to be a topic in healthcare, but if you and your work partner are discussing something about the patient IN FRONT OF THE PATIENT, you are obligated to tell them what you are discussing.


"how long has it been since your last treatment?"
June 18th
*turns to work partner* "so should we?"
'Has it been 2 weeks?"
*hand calculates on literal hands*
"Yeah, it should be OK"
What are you talking about?
"Oh, iif we can take a blood sample to test for creatinine based off the last time you had radiation."
Good to know, thanks.

I mean, how hard is that?  But why creatinine?  And why not just call up the oncologist to find out that my creatinine clearance is fabulous?  My kidneys work great, thanks, it's the boob that had the problem.

I did not ask that question.  Probably should have.

That's it for today,
Tiff out.

2 comments:

Middle Girl said...

It is rude to talk around you and more, to not have worked all that out before you were there with them.

Ask the questions.

Oldfriend said...

What ^Middle Girl said. :)