Thursday, March 22, 2012

It's long and random, at first you're hungry and then you're not

I do believe we are going to fire up the grill this evening for some burger cookin'. There are going to be some jealous people in our neighborhood tonight, if they are anything like me, who begins salivating immediately upon catching the first whiff of almost any grilled food.

We don't typically get fancy with grilled burgers, but do add some Worchestershire sauce and other spices to the meat. We're still working on grilling technique, the 'hot' vs' slow' grill seems to be very tricky on a charcoal grill. Any tips would be appreciated.

To go with the burgers I've just whipped up a batch of 'almost-my-mom's' potato salad, which is nommy and came out so good tonight I'mma write it down here just for remembering. Truth be told, I've likely done this before, but not just in this way, so ha. My blog, my rules.

Anyhow, here we go.

Tiff's "Almost My Mom's" potato salad:

Ingredients
5 large waxy potatoes (regular white or Yukon gold or similar), about 3 pounds
1/4 medium onion, minced
1/2 c light mayo
1/2 c 1% milk
1/4 c light sour cream
1 tsp prepared brown mustard
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp coarse-ground black pepper
1 tsp white vinegar

Boil the potatoes, whole, until done (about 20 minutes). Remove from pot and let cool

While cooling, combine the remaining ingredients into a dressing, set aside.

Peel cooled potatoes and cut into 1" cubes. Place in large mixing bowl.

Pour dressing over top, turn gently to combine, cover, and refrigerate at least an hour, turning occasionally.

Done!

---

There's a restaurant in town we swore we'd never go back to because the last time we were there the service was so bad we walked out without ever getting half our order.

Well, that place is now 'available for lease.'

Guess we don't have to bother to remember to not go back there.

---

It's been another golden day here in Cackalacky, except for a tiny bit in the morning that I could have done without that involved a rather comedic scene first and then abject horror.

The comedy was begun in the early morn, when the coffee pot was not quite done and Biff was getting up and at them for work. In the serenity of a scene of utter domestic bliss (COFFEE!) I certainly did not expect to see him come run-strutting half nakey out of the bedroom, arms pumping like Hans Brinker, with a slightly panicked look on this face, and heading straight toward the shelves where we keep our drinking glasses.

And I quote: 'I am far too naked to deal with THAT right now.'

Well, my curiosity was piqued, so I asked the natural question, 'What?' and the response was a very wide-eyed 'big freaking spider. Under the laundry pile.'

Oh dear.

Neither the LOML or I are very fond of spiders, at all, so it's handy we have a 'you saw it, you deal with it' rule that is invoked whenever spiders, cat barf, empty toilet paper rolls, etc, are involved. In this case that rule played to my favor and I instantly disavowed any interest at all in the spider, being within 10 feet of the spider, nor in plans for how to catch the spider. You saw it, you deal with it. Sorry, babe.

Well, one suit of spider-protective clothing for the catcher, 1 rocks glass, and 1 file folder later, the spider was snug in a new see-through home and being photographed for curiosity and science's sake. Heaven only knows what it might have been, but a wolf spider is the first things that sprang to several minds. A BIG wolf spider. Seriously freakishly radioactively large for this time of year, unless it *shiver* overwintered in the crawlspace.

It is now in the vacant lot next door, I hope eating lots of buggies and loving the great outdoors so much it swears of insides forever. Because if I find it next time? Ka-smoosh!

---

That's it from here, for now. Tiff out.

No comments: