Wednesday, January 21, 2015

So much fluff

He's much bigger than this now.
Our dog, Wernstrom, is a good pup.  He has trained us well.

We go out with him when he needs to do his business, and will stand outside until he's done, plus 10 minutes of play time.

We hand him an after-meal treat because that's just what happens.

We let him out at regular intervals, serve him food at 7 and 5, teach him new things weekly, get all up in his face nightly, hug him and love on him and administer reproach when necessary.

OK, the reproach thing might not be him training us, but we are human and need authoitay!

All along this dog journey I have wondered if we did the right thing.  Was getting a dog into our home and family the right thing to do?  Was it OK to add all that responsibility to our lives, all that routine, all that energy expenditure?  Dogs are WORK, and puppies moreso.

This is what I have to say now about how things are going:

   Biff left a while ago to work up at the shop.  He took Wern with him.

   I woke up this morning with a nice big puppy sleeping with me after Biff had to leave for work.  Puppy stayed quietly in bed with me until it was time to get up.  Good boy.

   Thing 2 came home for lunch today and one of the first things he did was play with and treat the dog.  That's love.

   Wern loves to run around the backyard, and MORE if he has something from the firepit in his mouth.  Goofyness is great.

   He is  smart.  New tasks/tricks are usually learned in 5 minutes, and remembered.

   He barks at the right time.  Excellent skill.

   He loves EVERYONE. 'Nuff said.


   He growls at the 'right' times, even if it seems like nothing is worthy of growling at.  Big boy knows his tribe!

  And, when I come home from work and there's a giant pile of toy stuffing on the floor.  I don't really care.  That just means he's been having fun.  Fun is good!!

---

What can I say?  This kid is growing on me.  He will be 8 months old in early February.  EIGHT MONTHS!  He's big as a grown dog, sleek and shiny and almost-nearly not a puppy anymore.

Guess dogs are OK after all.

Tiff out.

6 comments:

kenju said...

Of course they are. I am more of a cat person, because they really take care of themselves, except for emptying the litter pan. I really want to meet Wern.

JL Craver said...

I told you so. I told you so. I told you so. I told you so. I told you so.

Jennifer said...

Dogs are WONDERFUL. Jake the Dog is my third child. I can't imagine life without him. Wem is beautiful.

dandelionfleur said...

Awe--it warmed my heart just reading about Wern.

Warped Mind of Ron said...

Good Wern, you're a good boy... yes you are!!! Yes you are!!!

LL said...

I'd tell you about Foxy who arrived on the scene about 3 months ago, but then you'd want to get rid of Wern for her so... I won't.

;P