Monday, January 12, 2015

Done before 7 (8)

A thing I've had more than one conversation about this week:

I marvel at the families who have their supper ready before the chicks come home to roost and there's still daylight left in the day.

How do they DO that, and why?

For us here at the Tiny House, the routine is that we get home from work, relax a little bit, then decide what to thaw out and use as the starting point for our dinner.

We cook, 6 nights out of 7.  This is a regular thing at the Tiny House.  And it happens...late.

Mostly, dinner is ready at about 9, which we then serve up and go to the couches to eat.  Much different from how it was when the kids were little, when I would cook for them first so they could eat before their baths at 7 and their bedtime at 7:30.  I didn't mind the double cooking then, I would likely not mind it now if there were little ones around.  The REAL break came after they were in bed, when I could have a glass of something adult-oriented and cook something children wouldn't care for, much.

For now, because the Things are man-sized and eat Real People Food, we start late and eat later.  It works, and the kids like that schedule, so yay!

But tonight?  Dinner is ready at 7, and now I don't know what to do with the rest of our night.  How do folks just go RELAX after dinner, for hours?  It seems odd.  Even more odd are those who eat, then go DO STUFF for hours after dinner.  I really don't get that.  The predinner hours are for doing yo stuff.  After dinner?  SLOTH TIME, baby.

So tonight I'm conflicted.  It's ready, or nearly so, right about the time that we'd normally start thinking about such things.  It's almost as upsetting as going out to dinner!

Someone, hold me.

---

Had a nice talk today with someone who might like to hire me one day.  Only the job title she used for the possible position was one that is below what I'd been told the position was for, and for sure at least one grade lower than I am now.

I'm not taking any job at any grade lower than I am now.

I'll hang out a shingle before that and see what the cat drags in.

---

Feeling ornery tonight.  Maybe that's what the early dinner is all about.

What a rebel I am.

Tiff out.

4 comments:

kenju said...

We almost always eat by 6:30 or 7pm at the latest. I couldn't sleep well if we ate at 9 or later.

rennratt said...

We generally eat by 7 pm, as we have a Teen Girl, and both of us have reflux. Things must Settle prior to bed.

Once I get home (by 6 pm), I RARELY leave again. As a result, I generally change into House Clothes immediately - then cook. I'm off my game tonight, as I just returned from grocery shopping. That was NOT fun, but it's over with for the next 2 weeks. Chachi will have to go shopping if we run out of things before then.

oldfriend said...

we strive to eat by 7 because we are both hungry as hell by then and we have homework and house chores to do after. And with my hypoglycemia, I'd just end up snacking a very big snack and then still having a full dinner if I ate at 9.

Don't worry about the title. Worry about the pay. If it is equivalent, who cares about the title?

tiff said...

I care about the title. To step down in the perception of experience isn't something I'm interested in. Going from principal at Pharma to senior at a CRO is a big perceived difference.

I have to have something in exchange for giving up the yearly bonus!