Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pump up the volume!


Every week on Tuesday at 2:30 a dude here at work goes into a small room right next to my cube, shuts the door, and initiates a teleconference.  He then proceeds to shout at the phone for an hour, making every word he speaks completely crystal clear to those of us who sit within a 20-foot radius.  I know this is the correct distance, because I just went and asked a collegue who sits further away if he could hear the call, and the answer was a firm 'Yes.' 

Dude is in a room, with a shut heavy wood door, talking to a phone that is 1 foot from his mouth.  We can still hear him.

Worryingly, he’s not necessarily talking about mundane stuff!  Sometimes dollar amounts come up, sometimes future plans sometimes personnel changes  This could be important, and I don’t need to hear it, but how does one get that message across that he’s being really rude without meaning to?

(Whoa - Holy smokes – it’s getting LOUDER.)

Do I knock on his door and give him the stink eye, or slip an anonymous note under the door, or email him later on with the details of his call?

I think I’ll go with the email.  Minus the call deets.  Just tell him, nicely, that if he wants to use his outdoor voice there’s a place for that, AND IT’S OUTSIDE!!

(Walks off to think on it and escape the clamor)

Oh, joy, I have returned, and the call has ended early!  Yes!  Sometime during that 10 minutes of laps I just walked around the building he ended the call.  Peace has returned.  I can think again.


Until next week…

---

Just so you know, I'm wearing a new shirt.  I am not sure if I like it yet, because it's not made of knit material and I forgot to cut the tag out of it this morning.  The arms are too tight for me (which mean they actually fit properly and I'm not swimming in the shirt) and I'm not sure I look all that good in red.  It's not the same shirt I usually get, in other words, but I'll give it a shot.

It's not the most horrible shirt I've ever put on - that honor goes to the dreadful bodysuits of the '70's that never stayed snapped up all the way and were made to make the wearer sweat and were itchy as all get out.  *Shudder*  Yuck.  This shirt is nothing like that, and yet I know as soon as I get home I'm taking it off to put on something baggy, knit, and soft.

Totally looking forward to that moment.

Tiff out.

7 comments:

kenju said...

For the last 10 years or so, if it ain't baggy, knit and soft.....I don't wear it!! I love those three and if they are combined with stretchy too - I'm in heaven.

I am told I always talk too loudly, so I am not one to ask. I'd go for the anonymous note under the door, but it may not help.

JL Craver said...

Unless you know the yeller isn't a dick, I'd go for tell HR about the loudly broadcast details of his call(s).
That may be the little sister in me, though. hrmph.

Bev Sykes said...

why don't you record some of his conversation from your own desk and play it for him. Maybe he isn't aware of how public his private conversation is.

tiff said...

I like the record side of things....but he's also a friend and I think I should probably approach him personally. It's just soooo, awkward.

Warped Mind of Ron said...

Just go up to him and give him some advice on that rash he just finished telling his doctor about. That might get the point across ;-)

LL said...

WHAT? I'M SORRY TIFFY... COULDN'T HEAR YA, COULD YOU REPEAT THE POST?

Middle Girl said...

I was one of many co-workers who faced a conundrum as to how to approach a fellow worker with a body odor issue.

As awkward as these conversations are, they must be had.

Good luck, if it hasn't happened yet. Kudos, if it has.