Tuesday, March 29, 2011

taking it loose on the horsey train to whatsis

To both my real-life friends who live in the 'Quay area, let me just say this: I'm glad it wasn't your dead body the cops found on the side on the road this morning.

That would have sucked if it was you.

To the family of the person who WAS found on the side of the road this morning: I'm sorry. That is no way to have a Tuesday. Or any day.

---

Speaking of, a friend's daughter just had some repair work done on her back, and this girl and her siblings are under the age of majority it falls to their Mom and Dad to 'be there' as the strong examples of 'how to do major surgery when we've never done it before' that most parents dread having to be because it is foreign, exhausting, and expensive.

Nobody teaches you how to do that, in case you didn't know. You just go by feel.

Nobody really knows how to parent two younger siblings wile trying to help your oldest learn how to SIT again. There are, quite simply, no classes for that shit. That particular shit is exhausting, totally absorbing, and all-encompassing.

Which is why tonight I cooked enough food for 20 people. The way I figure it, if I'm cooking for 4 I can cook for 10, and if I'm cooking for that many I can cook another whole meal because dang, I'm not in the position to have to try to 'adjust her meds' to 'deal with pain', so I'm a-cooking like a madwoman to help out those who are going through just such a thing. I believe it is the least I can do. Plus which, I got the Things to make meatballs with me, which is a highly family bonding experience for the 5 minutes it takes for 3 people to make 36 meatballs approximately the size of golfballs. Or perhaps more. It was 3 pounds of meat, is what I'm getting at. A good whack of beef, I think is what they call it in England.

Or is that Prince William? I don't know.

Be that as it may, the bonus is that we have dinner for tomorrow sewn up tight. The downside - the meal I prepped for us tonight, that should have served 6? Nah. Somehow the 'knowledge and power training' class at tae kwon do the Things took tonight just broke out the hunger in 'em and I basically had to stop them from chipping off pieces of cheese-bedecked Pyrex and popping it in their mouths once the real food was gone.

Heck - for a dish that had no added salt, it sure went down easy.

So, there's the one thing I did today that makes me proud to be me. Could have just gotten by with a 'we'll be praying for ya' but sometimes circumstances scream at you to do something more. All you ever really have to do is listen.

And now it's late, and I need to get my butt in bed. Sweet dreams to all, and see you soon. Tiff out.

No comments: