Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Oh dear.

I'm Bored. Yes, with a capital B.

I made dinner last night, so didn’t have to cook tonight, which would have been a good thing to do being as how when it’s just me around I tend to bore myself to utter tears, which is weird because I think I’m sort of interesting except I don’t DO interesting things when I’m bored except try to beat my stupid high score on Bejeweled Blitz and see if anybody else has done something interesting.

What's that you say? Quit bitching about having sweet sweet alone time and tell us what you cooked? Well, since you asked so nicely, I'll tell you:

Beef/veg soup inna pot. It goes something like this:

Brown a pound or so of ground beef INNA POT.
Throw a chopped onion INNA POT halfway through the beef cooking
Salt and pepper the beef and onion mix INNA POT
Add 3 chopped stalks of celery, 2 chopped carrots, and a 14-oz can of diced tomatoes and their juices INNA POT.
Add a can of Great Northern Beans and their juices INNA POT.
Add a can of water (or to cover the other stuff) and a bayleaf INNA POT.
Add a tsp of garlic powder INNA POT.
Add a dash of balsamic vinegar INNA POT.

Do NOT MIX. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes INNA POT.

Mix. Chomp a carrot to see if it's done. Taste for seasonings. Add more S&P if needed. Simmer INNA POT for 20 minutes more or until you damn well feel like eating.

Eat.

(Serving suggestion: A nice hunk of baguette goes well with this, as does a nice glass of red wine. Or two.)

Enough for one person for 3 nights, or 4 people for 1 night if they like bread. A lot. It’s more filling with more bread (ta da! The power of logic does not fail me!), plus which the juice-soaking-up thing is fun with multiple iterations of breadly goodness. Sop, sop, sop!

Honestly, you can’t beat that shit for simple. And good for you. Look at all the veg in there! And if you make it yourself, your house too will smell like Auntie Esperanza’s, if she was the type to cook beef soup on a basis regular enough so that her house, clothes, and hair took on a perma-aroma of delicious things bubbling INNA POT!

--

Clearly, I need to go do something original, fresh, and fun. Washing dishes doesn’t count, does it? Needs to be done though. Been a couple too-tree days since I washed a dish. Or clothes. I tend to let things go when I’m home alone. Let them waaaay go. Like, over the river and through the woods go, if I could see that far, which of course I can’t, because it’s FIGURATIVE and thought-provoking, much like the dishes. You see, each day when I come home there’s a NEW dish in the sink that I’m sure I didn’t put there, because I’m not in the ice-cream eating habit lately and also? I’m not HOME during the day.

I blame the cats.

Though the Things could also have had a hand in this mystery. Methinks that when they get home from school (and particularly on those days when the Tiny House is merely a landing zone before their Dad picks them up), they dig out a big bowl of ice cream, douse it with Ovaltine, then give it to the cats. With 2 spoons.

Yep – I just bet that’s what happens.

Your thoughts?

--

Eh. The dishes are calling my name, even though we’ve never been formally introduced. I’mma gonna go waterboard ‘em in hot soapy water before the shouting gets much louder.

Dang I miss Biff.

No comments: