Monday, January 22, 2007

The one in which I declare that I am in love

Hi! Happy Monday!

It's not such a beautiful day in Tifftown, but that's OK, because I am in love. Lovelovelovelovelove. Oh yes, I am.

I blame it on the Pogues. And Thomas Dolby. Oh, and OK Go.

My recent musical additions to my largely non-existent CD library have me over-the-top with glee. They are on almost-constant play in the car, and the Things have confessed their Pogue-y lurve. "Fiesta," "White City," "Blue Heaven," "Rain Street," and "Sunny Side of the Street" have their little brains and bodies bopping. Most most excellent.

I've yet to fully sell them on Thomas Dolby, but that's only because I've not yet put it in the car for our rambles around Wake County. For sure it's in there now, because I'm pretty certain that "Europa and the Pirate Twins" will kick-start their Dolby lurve, and who DOESN'T like "She Blinded Me With Science"? Anyone? I DARE you not to start jukin' when the tag comes on right at the start. DARE YOU!

OK Go is MY personal favorite. Quite a bit of what's on "Oh No" might not be great listening material for the kiddies, but hey, they heard a Pogues tune with the Eff-word in it this weekend and only batted one eyelash, so maybe the thrash-metal-ish tunes from OK Go might not warp their wee brains too badly. One can hope, one can indeed.

There's not a bad song on any of these CDs. Not a one.

Now, the Gorillaz, on the other hand, have got to grow on me. I like half the stuff on "Demon Days," so it's a start. Heck, I bought the CD for one tune, so liking half the other stuff is a pretty GOOD start. The Eels have only gotten a cursory listen - much more dark and mellow than I'd expected. I'll save that for the next round of PMS, I guess.

=============================

Cold in NC this morning. Icicles fringed the street signs, hard drops of rain fell from sodden pine branches onto the car's windshield. Many levels of clouds covered the sky in shades of gray. As the sun came up, a pink tinge washed the thinnest parts of the clouds, and the world turned a pale shade of blue. It was very pretty, in a Scotland kind of way.

And for some reason, I thought it would be nice to ride a giant spotted monkey across the bare tobacco fields. And then I said that out loud, to the Things.

And they agreed that yes, it would be nice to do that.

They SO know how to make their mother happy.

No comments: