Monday, April 10, 2006

Prepare to be amazed

Because this is my blog, and, you know, just because I can, it's POETRY CORNER TIME!

Yay!

=========================

Fruitless Romance
Five o’clock,
Parking lot
My white car
Is not.
Chartreuse fuzz
Adorns the hood
The roof
The trunk
The neighborhood.
It’s in my nose
It makes me wheeze
It’s in my lungs
And so I sneeze.
Pollination
Unachieved
Arboreal tensions
Are relieved.
Frustrated pollen
Lie impotent
With redbud blooms
On the cement.
The virgin lover
And blowsy dame
Are vivid players
In Spring’s sex game.

My eyes well up
A combination
Of nature's beauty
And sinus conflagration.
Oh happy spring
When new life surges
I just wish those trees
Would suppress their urges.

=========================

I had a better one written in my head while ("whilst" for all y'all British-speak lovers out there) driving back from a weekend at my sibling's house yesterday, but, as so many things do, it fled from my brain and left me with this vague notion of what I wanted to do and only a few tools in the box with which to re-build the thing.

The weird thing is, I don't suffer from allergies, as one might infer from the above doggerel, but can find it in myself to sympathize with those who do. There is enough misguided pollen around these parts to sweep it into piles, and, to add to the sense of foreboding all atopic and allergic folks must feel, there is the promise of more to come now that the dogwood and redbud and wisteria and tulips are all blooming.

It's beautiful yes, but can also be dangerous.

Like Princess Leia, or Niagra Falls.

Or Catwoman, or pitcher plants, or the ocean.

Or some species of poisonous snakes.

Yup, just like that.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ligustrums. Stinky nasty smelly freakin' ligustrums.

Chelle said...

Love it! Too fun. I wish I could write poetry like that. Can't.

Anonymous said...

WN - I'll just bet they're all OVER where you are!!!

MMM3 - glad you liked it. I spent far too much time at work today on it - but it beats workin'. :>

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Tiff, I'll bet you can smell them thru the computer ... see?

rennratt said...

Proof of how heavy the pollen is around here:

A friend of ours was rushed to the emergency room on Saturday because his EYES swelled. I don't mean the lids. THE ACTUAL EYES SWELLED. FROM POLLEN!

mr. schprock said...

Hurricane gusts and ocean breezes
Run the gamut of my sneezes
Swollen eyes and whist'ling wheezes
Shake from crown to knocking kneeses
Though "remedy" but mocks and teases
And clogging sinus still increases
The aid to symtoms such as these is
Posts in verse like this which pleases

What were you expecting? Shakespeare?

rennratt said...

Mr. Schprock - It actually sounded (in my head, anyway) like the poem Gene Wilder quoted in the boat scene of 'Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Anonymous said...

WN - mmm, yes, yes, I think I can - it's like "Wonkavision," right?

Ren - that's gross.

Mr. Schprock - how awesome!!!! Will could NOT have done better.

OK - here's the Willie Wonka Poem, because we're headed down that path:

There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing, or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? is it snowing? is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? YES! The danger must be growing, for the rowers keep on rowing and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing!

I had to look it up.