Thursday, April 06, 2006

Happy Birthday to Youuuuuu!

Hi! I know it's been a long time since we talked, so I thought I'd give you a quick shout-out (dig the new lingo here) to say Happy Birthday! Surprise! I didn't forget this year!

Actually, I never forget, but sometimes just don't talk with you on your "special day" because I'm lazy like that. It doesn't mean that you're not important or that I don't love you, it just means that sometimes I can't get out of my own way to do something that is really very simple. Like that time you were supposed to call an insurance agent and forgot and forgot and forgot until it actually because a source of strain in your marriage because your wife kept asking you about whether or not you'd called, and for like a week you didn't take the 5 minutes to call because there were better things to do? Yep, just like that.

For some reason, this year I feel like I need to say a special happy birthday to you; as a reminder to you of how great I think you are. So, here goes:

I really like that you like Monty Python and Benny Hill. You're really silly, and love to laugh at silly stuff. I think that's charming and refreshing.

I really like that you like to sleep in on weekends, because I like to do that too.

I really like when you make up stupid verses to songs or talk in a fake British accent. Cracks me up.

I really like that you give spectacularly good hugs. Some people don't, you know.

I really like that you're interested in your family's comings and goings and support all the stuff your kids do. It's wonderful that you drive 2 hours just to see one of your kids play a concert at college, then drive right back home again. Such dedication is marvelous.

I really like your blue eyes, and the way they crinkle when you smile.

I really like your big laugh.

I really like your interest in the stars and your sense of wonder at the universe.

I really like that you have a ton of friends.

I really like that you make your kids' lunches in the morning so your wife can sleep in a little longer.

I really like the way you look in your officer's whites.

I really like your generous spirit.

I really like so many things about you!

I guess, what I'm saying is, I really really like YOU.

And if I could have one wish today, it would be to be able to say all this to you in person......

But you've been gone a long time now, so this is the best I can do.

Happy 74th birthday, Dad, wherever you are. I love you.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome post. What great memories, and what a great dad.

tiff said...

Thankee Ma'am. They sure are, and he sure was.

Anonymous said...

Very nice post.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Jess Riley said...

Wow, that was really sweet.

kenju said...

What a wonderful tribute to him; he was lucky to have a daughter like you!

Erica said...

Happy Birthday to your dad - an excellent post.

Suzanne said...

Very sweet. I love my dad too. You've inspired me to call him to remind him just how much.

Suzanne

Chelle said...

Very beautiful. Makes me smile.

Anonymous said...

love you, tiff - tanks