Saturday, August 08, 2020

Status? Here's your status.

 Well hello there.  You're looking well today, al things considered.  It seems you've brushed your hair today and have on a clean shirt, so that means you intend to go someplace today or have already gone someplace.  Was it nice?  Did you match your mask with your outfit?  I assume you wore a mask, correct?

I went to...the Hertz rental car office.  Biff is going out of town and we like to rent vehicles for long trips instead of using our own in case ours breaks down and we have to deal with the mess of having a non-functioning vehicle far from home.  You break a rental, they give you another one!  

But that was it, really.  We ordered lunch from the local Asian place (oh, gyoza, how I love thee!) but Biff went to get that while I set the table all fancy-like.  If we had regular napkins instead of just paper towels I'd have used them, because he's going out of town and the send-off should be a little fancy.  Well, we ate from real plates and had both forks AND chopsticks as well as placemats (they show you care!) so it was pretty dang fancy.  I even took off my Coors can trucker hat for the occasion.

That last part is a lie.  I don't wear headcoverings anymore.  1) Because it's HOT out, and 2) because I now have enough hair that it looks intentional, not pitiful.

These pics are from a few weeks ago, so you get the idea.

Zee back, obvs.

And zee frauhnt.

Color: pewter.

Oh and guess what?  That thing people mention when they say your hair might grow back differently than what it looked like BEFORE chemo knocks it all out of your head?  Is correct, thought my head hair isn't long enough to illustrate this yet.  It's just growing out of my head at whatever angle it chooses, and I can't control it. Pretty much like it did before, and in about the same color.

Let's just say that, well, there are certain areas that HAVE grown back significantly different from what was there before.  If I say that I have always been naturally red-haired but am no longer, is that enough info?  Plus which, if I use the term 'vigorous,' use your imagination.  Oy.  BUT, the leg hair, arm hair, pit hair are all about the same color/texture as before, so maybe that one little surprise, not noticeable to the general public, is OK.  It's just so weird.

My issue now is this: how long do I let the hair grow?  Before chemo it was pretty long, though I'd been cutting it shorter to increase appearance of thickness (though I don't know why because I always wore it up and off my face), and I kind of like the long-hair look because it's dead easy, but it was a pain to take care of and wash and manage and comb and the SHEDDING, oh my.  This shorter hair idea is 'growing' on me, but Biff likes longer hair, and I admit it does feminize my strong features, but how long does hair need to be before people stop calling me 'sir'?  

OK, nobody's called me 'sir' since jacket season ended.  40DD boobs just cannot be hidden under lightweight tee shirts.  Also, capris and cute sneakers help assign my gender.

Still, the hair question remains.

Guess I'm spending the afternoon building my 'hair vision board,' or whatever people do when decisions need to be made.

Thanks for reading.

Tiff out

4 comments:

Middle Girl said...

Years ago I cut my hair short and kept it that way for years until last year when I stopped cutting. Now it has grown out to do many things but I still keep it easy and simple. Question is, yes, how much longer?

For me it will be until I'm tired of it and ready for another change in that area.

Here's to getting the chance to choose.



tiff said...

I'm grateful for the opportunity. I didn't really care if it grew back or not, but now that it is there are a whole lot of choices to make. We'll see how it goes, day by day.

Blonde Goddess said...

We always rent a car for the same reason. It definitely takes some of the stress out of traveling.
I’ve thought about cutting my hair shorter for awhile, but then I worry I will miss being able to put it up.
After seeing how adorable you are in short hair though???? I’m rethinking it!And I’m thinking that in a few more inches you’re going to have waves!
It’s got to be cooler and easier to care for, even with it growing in which ever direction it wants.

Rennratt said...

I'm still in the "long, thick, curly, and shedding" camp. I vote for seeing how it grows out, and checking out extensions or falls just to enhance your options.