Friday, November 15, 2019

Headed into port

Sure wish this was the 'port' in question.


Woo, y'all.  I had me a day yesterday, I'll tell you that much.

It's not every day you get scrubbed up and have a piece of medical machinery stuffed under your skin and into a vein, I suppose, but that's what happened to me yesterday.

I am now the proud symbiont of a 'power port,' which sounds cool, like I can now charge my cell phone on my collarbone or something, but the reality is a little more harsh.

This port is there for chemotherapy.

Yup.

Ya' gal got diagnosed with breast cancer a little while ago,.  Had a lumpectomy about a month ago, then once healed from healed from THAT got the news that not ONLY was radiation part of the plan for a potential cure, but chemotherapy was considered a wise add-on (something about 'fast growing lesion') prior to the radiation in order to ensure the best possible chance for said cure.

The chemo is a HUGE surprise.  I should be researching 'short hairstyles' right quick, because I've been told its all a-gonna fall out in a few weeks.

But, no.  I kind of don't care what the hair looks like, and I digress from the point of this post, which is the port.

The POWER PORT.  Different from a regular port, because with a POWER PORT I will be able to withstand pushes of CT contrast much more easily than trying to deliver it through my tiny weak arm veins, because there will be more CT scans with contrast in the next few months.  Guess that doesn't happen for everyone.  It's difficult to find the silver lining...

And THIS is for a person who got an 'all clear margins' on the lumpetomy!!

Nothing's ever easy.

Tiff out.

2 comments:

Middle Girl said...

A better safe than . . ?
I know it is a mind blowing turn of events. My thoughts for a seamless treatment/recovery cycle are with you.

Tony Gasbarro said...

Dang, girl!