Tuesday, May 06, 2014

FEAR ME!

Things I've Done Since Arriving Home Tonight:


  • watered the garden
  • watered the porch plants
  • washed the dishes
  • unloaded the dishwasher
  • decided what's for dinner
  • started thawing the necessaries
  • fed cats
  • washed down kitchen countertops
  • poisoned ants.


I'm pretty proud of that last one, which is evil and wrong from a 'live and let live' perspective, but ants in my house are Uninvited Guests and thus must be fed a delicious, delicious last meal of homemade Terro before sending them off to their dreadful lairs to pass along the gift of DEATH to their colony-mates.

They love the homemade Terro (recipe below).

It was kind of cute, really, to see the upsurge in interest once the scouts had had their fill and gone back (not very far, evidently) to the colony to alert them that sweet death was theirs for the having if only they'd come out from that crack between the kitchen window and the moulding for a taste.  Little antennae kept popping out of the crack, waving around excitedly.

'Woo, Terro!  I've heard this stuff is RAD!' at least one of them must have said.  'I've heard about this stuff and it will MESS YOU UP!!  Woo!!'

Woo, indeed, tiny ant.  Woo, indeed.

---

Homemade Terro:

a shake of Borax (1/4 - 1/2 tsp)
1 Tbsp honey
1/2 tsp warm water

Mix, then set out where you see the lil' darlins.

If it looks like they're croaking before leaving the bait, use less Borax.  If they don't go away after a couple of days, use more Borax.  Be prepared to have MEGA ANTS for a while until they get the message and skedaddle/die en masse.

Now I'm off to watch them drink up eternity, and cook dinner.

Tiff out.

4 comments:

LL said...

I wasn't going to comment... but I'm scared now to get on your bad side!

Anonymous said...

I have a firm rule with insects and rodents. They live outside. I live inside. If I go into their territory, I expect to be bitten. If they come into mine, they they should expect the same.

I SHOULD mention... I saw a mouse two mornings in a row about a month after we moved into our new apartment. I told the mouse that I had no problem with him living in my apartment, but that I had better not ever SEE him again, or any evidence of his mousey shenanigans.

It's been another month since that discussion and I have not seen the mouse nor any tiny sign of meeces. So I am cool with that. No need to set out the poison I was threatening him with.

Warped Mind of Ron said...

OMG.... what about all that hot chocolate you've been leaving out for me??? It's so tasty... {cough} {gasp}....

kenju said...

I have the same rule about ants, spiders, etc. No likey inside!!