Monday, November 24, 2008

Status: Swimming Upstream

Life is...busy. Let's just leave it at that.

You ever have days like that? Weeks, maybe even?

Three days of offsite meeting last week, a couple of sick days (and kids), a holiday to eat up more time, travel plans to make, holiday gift card exchanges to do, presents to buy, and then....the work.

Y'all, I'm busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest, and I'm not a fan. WHO STOLE MY WEEKEND???? Can't even remember what I did on Saturday; is that a sign of approaching senility?

Akshully, senility wouldn't be too bad. The idea of hanging out in a housecoat and Depends thinking I'm 8 years old and spending time out back in the swingset seeing just how high I can go before gravity overtakes centrifugal force is sweet. To recapture some of that indolent youth of too many years ago, when time stretched out like a languorous housecat, full of nothing to do and all day to get it done. When trips to the creek were the most important thing to get accomplished other than being home in time for dinner; ah, to go back (if only mentally) to that timeset would indeed be a blessing.

Senility then doesn't seem so bad. Conjuring up the little girl I used to be, with ever-present bandages on my knees, flyaway blonde hair, and a big ol' cheesy grin just from being young, would be a nice way to spend a year or two.

As long as I don't forget the ones who I love and who love me, I'd be cool with senility. Something tells me though that I don't get to craft my own version of mental escapism, and that what goes will go of its own accord if indeed it's going to go at all.

So, that being the case, there's the looming 'everything' to deal with while I'm waiting to lose my mind.

Hey, at least Thanksgiving's over with.

Shut up. It is too. I have the leftovers to prove it.

No comments: