Thursday, March 20, 2008

I'm the green zone, baby!

I took a test. Do the results mean I passed?

Disorder / Rating

Paranoid Disorder: Low

Schizoid Disorder: Low

Schizotypal Disorder: Low

Antisocial Disorder: Low

Borderline Disorder: Low

Histrionic Disorder: Low

Narcissistic Disorder: Low

Avoidant Disorder: Low

Dependent Disorder: Low

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: Moderate


Please note: I may seem to be well-balanced now, but if I had taken this test as a teenager, or even as a younger woman, I KNOW my results would have been a lot more toward the red zone on MANY of these endpoints.

Yay for aging? I should think so.


============================

Today is Good Friday. Time for some quiet reflection, eh? Recently I've been learning more about Biblical stuff, and I have to say that the story of the last week of Jesus' life is compelling and disturbing. Dude went through a whole lot in a short period of time. Good Friday was kind of the pits for him.

But then - yay! Sunday is Easter already, and Easter is fun! The Things were asking me why Easter isn't the same day of the year every year, and through some miracle I pulled the right explanation out of thin air (or possibly my ass. I'm never quite sure where these things come from.). Here it is, straight from Wikipedia, for all y'all that didn't know before how the date of this crazy moveable feast is derived:

The date of Easter is not fixed in relation to the civil calendar. Easter falls at some point between late March and late April each year (early April to early May in Eastern Christianity), following the cycle of the moon. After several centuries of disagreement, all churches accepted the computation of the Alexandrian Church (now the Coptic Church) that Easter is the first Sunday after the first fourteenth day of the moon (the Paschal Full Moon) that is on or after March 21 (the ecclesiastical vernal equinox).

Clear as mud? Let me assplain further, so as to be SURE y'all get it:

1) You go to March 21st. 2) You figure out when the next full moon is going to be. 3) You find the date of the Sunday AFTER that full moon, and there you plant your Easter basket.

Don't ask me why. Something to do with druids and spaceships, I'm sure.

=========================

OK, here's a new one on me, and please indulge me in a little more religious stuff, because once I saw the term "Dyngus Day" in my research on Easter you just KNOW I had to find out more. Dyngus Day....so many possibilities of what it could be...

Apparently Monday is a holiday; one that is commonly referred to as Easter Monday 'round these here parts (and which was a public holiday here in NC from 1935 until 1987!), but in some countries is known as "Dyngus Day" or "Wet Monday."

You hear me right folks, Wet Monday. If you're looking to celebrate Dyngus Day/Wet Monday/Easter Monday like real afficionados of the liturgical holidays do, here are some of the fun things you could do on Wet Monday:


  • Splash the girl you love with a bucket of cold water after sneaking into her bedroom (be sure to get her parent's permission first, mmkay?)

  • Exchange colored eggs, and threaten to whip the person if they don't give you one (trick or treat's got NOTHING on this sordid tradition!)

  • Whip the legs of single girls

  • Fly kites (but apparently only in Guyana)

Sounds like a whole lot of fun, what with all the dousing and whipping and flying of kites. I think I could TOTALLY get into Wet Monday...but make MY bucket of water warm please.

===========================

And THAT, my friends, is that, for you must admit that any blog post that combines a personality disorder shopping list and the iteration of Eater-centric themes and traditions is a fairly information-rich vein to mine.

Plus which, I've got work to do.

Have yourselves a glorious thoughtful day, and a splendid Easter weekend. I'll see you back here, wet and whipped I hope, on Dyngus Day.


No comments: