Sunday, August 26, 2007

In which it becomes apparent that I need some motivation, and fast

Y'all know what? (chicken butt!)

These weekends when the Things are with their Dad can get pretty damned loooooong. I have all the time in the world to do what I want to do, you know? Vast tracts of time, with only MY goals to achieve. Why, with this kind of time, I could probably conquer half the known universe if I simply put my mind to it and if I used the time I have wisely.


Yes, that's one big IF that got plopped into the previous sentence. Good of you to notice.

As an illustration of just why I will never be the conquerer of anything very much in particular, I offer you the complete use of time these past two days, in which much could have been done, and yet....was not.

Yesterday, the plan was that my day was going to go something like this:


  • Wake up "whenever"
  • Mow lawn
  • Clean out Tinkerbell (my CAR, y'all. Minds out of the gutter! I'm not going all weirdo Captain Hook perverty on you)
  • Pay bills
  • Grocery shop
  • Get Tinkebell's oil changed
  • Do some work for work while enjoying some of Kentucky's finest brown water.

The actual day went something like this:

  • Wake up whenever, which happened to be at 10 a.m. (bliss!)
  • Wander around the house aimlessly drinking coffee and thinking
  • Read the entire newspaper - it's now noon.
  • Do something, I can't now remember what, but it didn't involve me leaving the house or getting a shower, I know that much for sure, nor did it involve speaking to another human being (oh - yes, I remember now - I made a green pepper and sausage frittata and went through my mail, opened up a surprise gift box from an old friend that made me cry and think maudlin thoughts about my youth for a few minutes, and paid bills, because when you're already feeling sad, why NOT pay bills?) - so, check one thing off the list.
  • Take a nap - the mail thing exhausted me, apparently
  • Talk on the phone
  • Grocery shop - by now it's 7 p.m. - check another thing off the list.
  • Get a surprise visit from a friend and her puppy! Yay! Someone to talk to! Puppy! Fun!
  • Drink fire water, get sleepy, talk on the phone once more, and go to bed. Check a half a thing off the list

Note the lack of productivity. Shocking, really. I spent a good portion of the day wondering why I wasn't doing what I set out to do, which is irritating in the extreme, because, honestly, KNOWING you're wasting time isn't nearly as fun as simply wasting it and enjoying the wasting, you know?

So, to make up for that notable lack of "anything to show for my day" yesterday, today's plan was to go something like this:

  • Wake up whenever
  • Write note to brother and send check for boat rentals from over a month ago
  • Write sympathy card to Aunt on the loss of my Uncle
  • Clean out Tinkerbell
  • Mow lawn
  • Get Tinkerbell's oil changed
  • Do laundry
  • Install weatherstripping on back door where daylight shines through like a beacon, and where air-conditioned air must be escaping like toots from a competitive baked bean eater (yeah, it's almost September, what of it? Stays hot here for another couple of months yet! I'm not late with this thing! Really!)
  • Do some work for work while enjoying the remaining few drams of Kentucky's finest brown water left in the bottle, and mourn the fact that I am rationing myself these days. Stupid weight-loss plan, anyhow.

So, it's 3 p.m. on Sunday, and this is what has happened:

  • Wake up at 8 a.m. when the phone rings. Talk for a while.
  • Make coffee
  • Talk on the phone some more
  • Eat leftover French toast
  • Mow most of lawn - hooray for checking ONE THING off the list!
  • Get blister
  • Take shower
  • Eat lunch
  • Do a load of laundry - OK, two things off the list
  • Cruise the internet

Oy! No oil change, no car cleaning out, no work for work, no sympathy card or check writing, no weather stripping.

Also, I still have to write my stories (um, yeah, there will be TWO) for Wordsmiths. Heaven only knows that, what with all the excellent advice being parcelled out over there, I should be able to turn a few hundred words into a real story this month, but I'm not even past the "thinking about it" stage yet.

Are you?

Well, the oil change place closes at 5, so I'd best be off. There's much to be done still, much much to be done.

But first, what's new at FARK, I wonder?

No comments: