Monday, May 15, 2006

In which I go blow-by-blow on yesterday

I had a list, a reasonably long list, of cute and insightful and amusing things to write about today, and was all set to dive in to write all about them, when, sady, I woke up.
.
I hate it when that happens.
.
I had a little tune half-written in my head on the ride into work today that I was going to try to set up for an entry here, and then during the elevator ride up (1 floor, people!) I forgot it.
.
I hate it when THAT happens.
.
So, what's left? How to fill this space on the page? Why, I know! I'll do what all us Moms out there do the day after Mother's Day - THE RECAP.
.
Oh yes, all us mamas all do it! You know it, I know it, and everybody who DOESN'T know OUGHT to know it, because that's one bandwagon you want to be on, sweetie. As first order of business Monday morning the Moms get together and discuss "our" day, comparing notes and kvetching or gushing, whatever the case may be.
.
Therefore, I present to you- "MY MOTHER'S DAY RECAP "
.
Allowed to sleep in - 10 points on the positive side
.
Given cards by family - another 10
.
Given a hanging basket of scaveola and a pothos - rackin' up the tenners, guys!
.
Kisses all around and a group hug - bring on another ten, I'm FEELING the love!
.
Go out for b-fast, only to find that the place we'd zeroed in on doesn't open for another 90 minutes - bummer, but can't subtract points for this as it's out of our control. Go to a second place, only to find a line snaking far out the door which is populated by people dressed in nice clothes who look for all the world like they might know a bible verse or 2 and who might just be a little offput by our travelling band of unwashed and barely combed-ness, but still no points taken off because, well, I didn't shower either.
.
So, to grocery store for supplies for breakfast and the week, during which husband and children are amusingly adorable - give 'em ten for not running over my feet with the cart, for picking out good wine (that we couldn't buy because it wasn't NOON yet, so sad), and for being very solicitous of what I wanted to have for dinner.
.
At the grocery store, I amused myself by watching all the men coming to the checkout with their grocery-store bouquets and accessories - the guy with the cart that contained a dozen eggs, a pound of bacon, a 6-pack of English muffins, and flowers; the dude with 3 BIG bundles of flowers (for mother, wife, and girlfriend, perhaps?); the fellow with flowers AND a card AND candy (way to shop, big guy!); etc., etc. The men, so earnest in their pursuit of the "under the wire" giftage, but they still get points on their personal tally sheets, I'm sure, for even remembering that this day was, somehow, special to their wives or mommies. Way to go, flower dudes!
.
Once b-fast was done (which I cooked, but whatevs, husband was amusing just by trying to get corned beef hash out of a can, complete with scatalogic and canine references, so yay!), I took a BUNCH of time throughout the day doing "the thing that has made me insane with happiness every time I see it":
.
I DETAILED THE CAR.
.
Oh yes, yes, yes! It's clean! It shines! It has no toys littering the back set and no old fry-shreds greasing up the upholstery! There are no old water bottles rattling around or 5 pounds of McDonald's plastic castoffs lurking under the seats! There's no dust on the dash and no grit on the mats! It's clean, it's clean, it's clean! Woooo!!
.
10 points for that.
.
Even the wicked thunderstorms and tornado warnings of yesterday afternoon couldn't REALLY get me down, because they didn't crack my car windows and didn't even dent the car too much, and hey-good-for-them they DID wash the outside of the car so that it matches the nice clean INSIDE. Double-plus goodness there, y'all! What might have been disappointing about those storms was the large hail that ripped through the screen in the bathroom, but the thrill of seeing huge chunks of ice fall from the sky made up for any "oh jeeez" moments that might have resulted. Plus, we rent, so the owner has to fix it. :>
.
To cap off the day, appetizers (rosemary olive-oil ciabatta with horseradish cheddar and pepperoni) and dinner were prepared FOR me, and served to me as I lounged on the couch watching HGTV, thereby completing the crazy-good day-long bonanza. Ah yes, the remote in one hand and a cocktail in the other for a couple of hours, followed by pasta alfredo and pan-seared salmon with sauteed yellow squash and a fresh green salad (plus wine!) makes Tiff one happy mother.
.
30 points for that, dear husband.
.
10 points off for the hangover, Tiff.
.
But so totally worth it.
.

1 comment:

rennratt said...

Aww, it's Mother's Day! Give yourself your points back!

My (granted) request was to lay on the couch all day in boxer shorts and a ratty t-shirt - and watch a marathon of 'Little People, Big World', 'While you were out' amd 'Mythbusters'.

Way to go for detailing the car!

...You can't buy wine until noon on Sundays? I wasn't aware that Blue Laws still existed!